Musical cake tins
It's easy to make and tune a simple stringed instrument and write your own music to play on it
You will need:
- A square or rectangular metal cake tin
- 5 rubber bands that will stretch
Around the cake tin
- A piece of thick cardboard big enough to overlap one end of the cake tin
- 5 soft drink caps or small pebbles.
1.measure and cut out a rectangular piece of cardboard should be slightly wider than a cake tin and should cover about half the length of the tin.
2. Lay the piece of over cardboard over one end of the tin, and stretch the rubber bands lengthwise around the tin. Space them evenly across the cardboard. Beside each string write a number- 1,2,3,4 and 5.
3.slip one of the soft drink caps or pebbles between
4. Pluck one of the rubber bands at the uncovered end of the tin, and listen to the sound it makes as it vibrates. You can change the sound that each string makes by moving the soft drink cap or pebble back and forth under the string. Experiment to find out how to make the notes higher and lower.
5.when you have tuned all the strings try picking out a tune on your instrument. When you’ve found one you like write down your
Recording turn.Put a dash where you want to dash where you want to rest or break in the tune.